College of Science & Mathematics
Department of Biological Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Biology
Student Outcomes Learning Assessment
Program Mission Statement and Objectives
The biology and marine biology program is committed to helping students excel academically and achieve productive careers through programs in academics, research and community service. The program provides BS and BA degrees in Biology and Marine Biology. Our degree offerings are augmented by opportunities to participate in internships as well as research at both the local and national level. The faculty is dedicated to preparing our students for successful, productive postgraduate and professional careers. They are also committed to lifelong learning and scientific research, academic and pedagogical advancement, and outreach to the local community.
Student Learning Outcomes
- All students will apply scientific approaches to problem solving.
- Students will communicate biological information appropriate to their field of study in written and oral form.
- Students will be able to understand and analyze modern biological research within their field of study.
- Students completing a Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or Marine Biology will demonstrate breadth of knowledge in their field of study, including key concepts in biology. For example, during the 2014-2015 academic year, cell and molecular biology knowledge of seniors was assessed.
- Students completing a BS Degree in Biology or Marine Biology will competence in key laboratory skills.
- Students completing a BS Degree in Biology or Marine Biology will use quantitative skills appropriate to their field of study.
- A comprehensive exam is administered to all BS MBI majors during the final semester of the senior year.
- Other assessment methods are used and vary from year to year.