Christopher Loeffler explains why he chose University of the Virgin Islands.
Applications are due each year by March 1. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status by April 1. It is imperative that applicants follow directions precisely to ensure that applications reach the correct UVI program and are processed on time. If an applicant has any questions about the application process, s/he should contact the MMES Program Director at (340) 693-1427 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the program does not have a minimum GPA or GRE score requirement. The program also does not require that you identify an advisor before applying. However, we strongly encourage you to contact faculty who share your interests to see if they have available openings in their laboratory. Please see our "Research" tab for research areas and associated faculty.
Application due date and decision timeline:
To apply to the MMES program, please complete the following checklist of requirements (be sure to complete all items, 1 through 7):
1. Complete the online graduate application. This will provide you with a student identification number to be used in the application process. You must also complete the Program Application in addition to this application (See Number 2).
2. Program Application online form. Please be prepared to complete this web form in one sitting.
Information you will need to complete the Program Application:
3. Three (3) letters of recommendation must be completed by an evaluator and submitted through the web form by the application deadline. The program application system will not automatically notify your letter writers. It is the applicant's responsibility to send the link to their letter writers and to ensure that letters of recommendation are submitted by March 1. (Note: Do not use a service, such as Interfolio, to send the recommendations as our recommendation cover form asks about the candidate in more detail).
4. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate level work are required.
The applicant should request the registrar of each institution attended to send transcripts directly to the MMES Program Director at the University of Virgin Islands using the following address:
MMES Program Director
Center for Marine and Environmental Studies
University of the Virgin Islands
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, VI 00802-9990
Please note that mail takes approximately one to two weeks longer to arrive in the US Virgin Islands than on the mainland; therefore, we strongly urge applicants to request transcripts at least one to two months before the application deadline. Electronic transcripts are allowed. Please notify the Program Director if you plan to submit a transcript electronically.
If an applicant is completing her/his degree at the time of application and if s/he is accepted to the Masters program, s/he will have to produce proof of having been awarded a baccalaureate degree prior to being allowed to matriculate.
It is highly recommended that applicants would have completed the following coursework within the past ten (10) years:
Individuals without the stated coursework are invited to contact the Program Director to discuss their background and preparation for the program.
5. An official score of the Graduate Record Examination Test (GRE): http://www.ets.org/gre must be submitted. Please use institution code 0879 (there is no department code).
6. Proof of English competency for international students for whom English is not a first language, such as TOEFL scores.
7. A CV or résumé must be submitted with your application. Please email your CV by the application deadline to email@example.com.
The MMES program welcomes international applicants. Please read the International Student Manual for additional application directions (PDF document and form) and contact the MMES Program Director.
The MMES program welcomes inquiries from potential transfer applicants. Please contact the MMES Program Director. The following policy, as stated in the UVI Graduate Bulletin, applies:
A maximum of six graduate credits earned at another university or college may be accepted towards the fulfillment of the requirements for a graduate degree. Only credits earned within the last five years at a grade no lower than B will qualify for acceptance under this regulation. Students should request that an official copy of their graduate transcript be sent to the Admissions Office for consideration of courses to be transferred.
Potential transfer applicants should note that transfer credits may only be counted towards electives, and may not replace any of the first year core courses of the MMES program.