More information about the St. John Academic Center is available via the following link: http://libguides.uvi.edu/stjac.
The St. John Academic Center relocation from the MarketPlace to the Department of Planning and Natural Resources office in Cruz Bay is pending. As a result, the Center will be closed until the relocation has been completed. Students who intend to participate in classes via the St. John Academic Center should plan to attend classes on the St. Thomas campus for the beginning of the Spring 2016 semester as the space renovation is in progress. Students are encouraged to contact the Provost office on St. Thomas at 340-693-1200 for ferry tickets to commute between St. John and St. Thomas to attend classes. Staff will be available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The St. John Academic Center (STJAC) provides students living or working on St. John with the opportunity to attend UVI classes via videoconference (VC) technology, without leaving the island.
STJAC is equipped with highly interactive state-of-the-art classrooms that connect St. John students to instructors and students on the St. Thomas and St. Croix campuses. Students have access to UVI’s libraries, a study room, computers, academic resources and the Internet at the STJAC.
The Academic Center is primarily used by:
1. Current UVI students for video-conferencing classes to/from St. Thomas and St. Croix, for access to the Internet, desktops, laptops, meetings with professors, meetings with classmates, group study and individual study. Students at the Academic Center have the same access to all network resources as those on St. Thomas and St. Croix campuses.
2. The St. John community for access to the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), and for events sponsored by UVI.
3. Individuals from the community who purchase a card through the Preferred User Program to access UVI’s general library collection and Wi-Fi network.
4. Individuals or groups who wish to rent video conference rooms or classrooms for a meeting or event. Please look below for a description of the rooms that are available. For further information, please call Marilyn Henderson at 693-1360 or email her at email@example.com, or contact Information Technology Services at 693-1460.
5. High school students who would like assistance with college and scholarship applications, or who wish to enroll at UVI through the Early Admissions Program.
6. Resident senior citizens who want to enroll in a class at UVI for free through UVI’s Senior Citizen Education Program.
STJAC is staffed by UVI’s Information & Technology Services (ITS) department and includes a writing tutor and a technology specialist.
HOURS OF OPERATION
New hours will be posted when the new location opens for business.
When STJAC is closed, students on the St. Thomas campus may access the 24/7 library lab using ID key cards.
Remote access to resources is available through the myCampus portal using UVI network credentials.
The Center is equipped to deliver selected UVI classes for fall, spring and summer sessions. See the current offerings for all UVI classes, including video-conference and online classes, in the UVI catalog and registration.