Awakening the Leader Within
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - St. Thomas Campus
Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - Albert A. Sheen Campus on St. Croix
firstname.lastname@example.org | http://manup.uvi.edu
5th Annual Man Up Conference . . .
This year’s guest speaker is Chris Gardner, who’s best known as the subject of the 2006 movie “The Pursuit of Happyness,” starring Will Smith and Jaden Smith. There will be performances by the VI’s own, who have written music for superstars like Rihanna, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, Usher, and more; Rock City. All males are invited to attend; the conference begins at 8:30a.m.; Free admission.
- Theme: Awakening the Leader Within
- February 10, 2015 - Sports and Fitness Center, St. Thomas Campus
- February 11, 2015 - Albert A. Sheen Campus Grounds, St. Croix
- Register by February 3, 2015:
- News Release
Men who graduate from college have a greater chance to reach their full potential and contribute to the growth of a society. They even earn more than men who graduate from high school. It's a fact.
This is Dr. David Hall, president of the University of the Virgin Islands. UVI offers quality and value in higher education. But we have a crisis in the Virgin Islands in regards to young men. And we need your help in order to make college a reality in the lives of more young men in the Virgin Islands. Without you we can't make the difference that we need to make in the lives of young men in this territory. - Text of UVI NPR radio spot
Join UVI's Male Initiative...
The University of the Virgin Islands has begun a Male Initiative - Brothers With A Cause (BWC) - with the goal of attracting more male students to the University and providing tools and support to help them graduate.
Groups of interested male students have begun meeting with UVI President David Hall on the St. Croix and St. Thomas campuses. They have made the following initial suggestions:
- Expanding academic support programs (including peer tutoring)
- Expanding and strengthening UVI's athletic programs
- Developing a public relations campaign that projects a positive image of manhood for boys
- Developing a mentorship program for junior high and high school boys
- Developing male organizations on campus (fraternities, brotherhoods, etc.)
- Improving campus life for all students
We cordially invite your ideas, your participation and your financial support. For details, visit these links:
- 2015 Conference
- 2014 Conference
- 2013 Conference
- 2012 Conference
- 2011 Conference
- Man Up Pledge
- Email - email@example.com
- Phone - (340) 693-1000
'We have a crisis in the Virgin Islands
in regards to young men.
We need your help in order to make college a reality in their lives.'
- UVI President Dr. David Hall
Male Initiative - Donations/Support...
We are seeking contributions from UVI alumni and community supporters to help fund the activities and goals developed by the UVI Male Initiative. For specific details on how to provide financial support, visit the UVI web site Giving Section
Male Initiative - Volunteers/Mentors...
Individuals who have graduated from college and are willing to serve as mentors to young men in college are being sought. This applies to both UVI alumni and non-alumni. Interested persons should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all of the following information: name, age, occupation, alma mater, phone number, and email address.
Male Initiative - Information Clearinghouse...
The UVI Male Initiative - Brothers With A Cause (BWC) - is developing a clearinghouse of male-oriented organizations in the Territory. Individuals affiliated with boys groups at their churches, schools, community centers, etc. are asked to provide a brief description of teir group's goals and missions. Also please provide information on a contact person.
Male Initiative - Contacts...
The following individuals at UVI are providing administrative support to the Male Initiative.
- Dr. Haldane Davies, Vice President for Business Development and Innovation - Phone: (340) 693-1000 - Email: email@example.com
- Mr. Sean Georges, Student Housing Supervisor - Phone: (340) 693-1112 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org