A USDA Hatch grant provides the majority of funding for aquaculture research. The 5-year grant guides research in:
- Tilapia production optimization
- System design
- Vegetable variety trials
- Economic evaluation
WRRI – Water Resources Research Institute
WRRI is funding research “Plant Nutrient Management in Aquaponic Systems for Zucchini (Cucubita pepo) Production.” The research is evaluating foliar application of calcium and phosphorus to enhance fruiting and prevent blossom end rot disease.
- Study selected nutrients in the aquaponics system for zucchini:
- Investigate the pH ranges (6.0, 7.0 and 7.5) suitable for zucchini production.
SARE – Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
SARE is funding “Home Aquaponic System for US Virgin Island Residents” a joint effort with the USVI Department of Education to develop small-scale aquaponic systems for teaching and academic enhancement in VI high schools.
- Develop and build 3 prototype systems for home-scale aquaponic food production in the US Virgin Islands.
- Deep water trough system
- NFT/Gutter system
- Energy efficient/Single pump system
- Measure system inputs and outputs and evaluate each system for best production and best energy efficiency.
- Conduct 6 technology transfer workshops for student parents and the community.
- Demonstrate system design at annual Agriculture Fairs on St. Croix and St. Thomas.