- Workshop is held from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Wednesday to Friday
- Morning lectures are conducted in a classroom in the Research and Extension Center. A campus map will be emailed to you a week prior to the workshop.
- Afternoon activities are held in the field.
- Casual clothing that can get dirty is appropriate
- Closed toe shoes are needed to protect your feet from fire ants
- The February 17 - 19 workshop is preceded by the VI Agriculture and Food Fair, Feb 13 - 15. Come early for a vacation and enjoy the festivities.
- The May 11 - 13 workshop will include a Leatherback Turtle nesting watch at Sandy Point NWR
- This activity is from 5 PM - Midnight. There is an extra cost of $30 for taxi transportation to the refuge.
Travel to St. Croix:
- Please fly to St. Croix. US Virgin Islands, Airport code: STX.
- St. Croix is served by
- American Airlines with daily direct flights from Miami.
- JetBlue connecting through San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Delta Airlines direct from Atlanta, Saturday only flights
- Regional carriers Cape Air and Seaborne Airlines from San Juan code share with other international carriers.
Hotels and lodging:
The following information is provided as a service to participants attending the course. It is not inclusive of all accommodations available on St. Croix.
- Hotels closest to UVI campus - none are close enough to walk and each requires a car rental for travel to the campus
- Condominiums with full kitchen facilities.
- Hotels in Christiansted are close to the taxi stops and course participants would not need a car rental.
- Hotels in Frederiksted require car rental
- Other lodging options
Destination websites with lodging, tourism and activity information for St. Croix.
- The university cafeteria serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, prices vary from $10-$15 per plate.
- The cafeteria is closed for dinner mid-May through mid-August.
- Christiansted and Frederiksted each have a number of budget and high quality restaurants.
- On your arrival, taxi service is available from the airport to your hotel (price varies).
- Public Taxi vans and public busses travel from Frederiksted to Christiansted throughout the day and have pick-up points at the campus entrance.
- public taxi - $2.50 per trip,
- public bus - $1.00 per trip, scheduled departures
- Cars can be rented from Avis, Hertz and Budget or other local agencies for travel around the island.
We drive on the LEFT