Spring 2015 Schedule
- Jan 21 - STT Room B110 at 12pm. Workshop: How to Apply to Summer Programs, Presented by UVI Senior students Murchtricia Charles, Chantel Ible, and Shelsa Marcel.
- Jan 26 - STX Room RTP 226 at 1pm. Workshop: Applying to Summer Programs.
- Feb 2 - Graduate Education Forum - CIC Consortium of the Big Ten Universities will be on campus to share info on summer programs and graduate school. St. THomas - West Hall 330, St. Croix - NWW 103 at 12:00pm
- Feb 4 - STT Room B110 at 12pm. Research Seminar by Dr. Afiya Fredericks, UVI Psycology Alumna. Title: Mindsets Matter: An Investigation of the Effects of Belief Change Interventions on the Mathematics Performance of Students in the United States Virgin Islands
- Feb 6 - STX Room NWW 133 at 3pm. Research Seminar by Dr. Afiya Fredericks, UVI Psycology Alumna.
- Feb 19 to Feb 21 - Emerging Researchers National Conference in STEM, Washington DC
- Feb 20 - UVI Research Day Abstract Deadline - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/UVI_Research_Day . ECS Scholars are required to submit an abstract.
- April 9 - 4th Annual UVI Research Day, both campuses
Fall 2014 Schedule (**indicates a deadline, for online registration and applications go to http://ecs.uvi.edu)
- Sep 3 - Anthonio Brathwaite seminar - UVI New Faculty, Chemistry
- Sep 5 - Edwin-Cruz Rivera seminar - UVI New Faculty, Chemical ecology
- Sep 7** - Fall symposium abstracts due
- Sep 10 - ECS Visiting Scientist Seminar: Dr. Milton Brown, Georgetown University, Drug Discovery (STT)
- Sep 12 - Dr. Milton Brown seminar on St. Croix
- Sep 19 - ECS Visiting Scientist Seminar: Dr. Andrew Campbell, Brown University, Genetics
- Sep 21 - Fall Student Research Symposium
- Nov 11-16 - ABRCMS Conference Travel
Spring 2014 Schedule
- Jan-22, Workshop - Tips to apply for Summer Programs, 12pm, B-110, STT
Jan-24, Applying to Summer Programs Workshop on St. Croix, NWW 131 @2pm
- Jan-29, Visiting Scientist Research Seminar by Dr. Robert Sekuler on cognitive neuroscience, Dept. of Psychology, Brandeis University, 12pm, B-110 on STT (videoconferenced to STX room EVC 713)
- Jan-30,Boston Early Medical School Selection Program Interviews, St. Thomas Campus
- Feb-3, Graduate Workshop - Applying to Research Fellowships, presented by Dr. Turner, 11am, B110 on STT & EVC 713 on STX
- Feb-5, Research Seminar by Dr. Michael Doyle, Environmental science, UVI faculty member, 12pm B-110, STT
- Feb-12, Visiting Scientist Research Seminar by Dr. Juan Gilbert on Human Centered Computing, Computer Science, Clemson University, 12pm, B-110 on STT & NWW 103 on STX, www.humancenteredcomputing.org/
- Feb-20 to Feb-22,Emerging Researchers National Conference in STEM, Washington DC
- Feb-21**, Spring Symposium Registration deadline AND abstract due
- Feb-28**, ECS Online Applications DEADLINE (including MARC, RISE, HBCUUP, SURE, SSSRI)
- Mar-22, St. Croix Spring Student Research Symposium, Albert A. Sheen Campus
Fall 2013 Schedule
- Aug-22, Faculty Workshop by Dr. Valerie Purdie-Vaughns, Psychology Professor at Columbia University, 6:00-8:30pm, ACC 142 STT, Great Hall STX
- Aug-23,ECS Visiting Scientist-Research Seminar,Dr. Purdie-Vaughns,12pm,110 STT,EVC-302A STX
- Aug-28, Workshop - How to write an abstract, 12pm, 110 STT, EVC-807 STX
- Sep-01, Deadline - ECS seniors submit list of Graduate Schools applied
- Sep-04, WORKSHOP, How to Give a Present a Poster, 12pm, 110, EVC-807 STX
- Sep-04, WORKSHOP, How to Give an Oral Presentation, 12pm, B101
- Sep-06, Research Seminar, Dr. Laurie McPearce, Psychiatrist, 12pm, 110, EVC-807 STX
- Sep-06, ABRCMS Abstract submission and travel award application deadline, Go to http://www.abrcms.org/index.php/abstracts-posters
- Sep-09, Fall Symposium Abstract submission and online registration deadline, http://ecs.uvi.edu
- Sep-11, ECS Visiting Scientist, Research Seminar, Dr. Shana Augustin, UVI alumna, Neuroscientist at University of Chicago, 12pm, 110 St. Thomas
- Sep-13, ECS Visiting Scientist, Research Seminar, Dr. Shana Augustin, 1:00pm, EVC 716 St. Croix
- Sep-19, WORKSHOP - presentation to students of BIO 245 – Genetics on lab techniques by UNC graduate students, 9am-12pm & 2-5pm, SCI 109 STT
- Sep-20, ECS Visiting Scientists, Research Seminar by UNC Chapel Hill grad students, 12pm, 110 STT, NWW 103 STX videoconference
- Sep-20, WORKSHOP, How to Apply to Graduate School, UNC Chapel Hill faculty member, 2:30-3:30pm, MSC 200 STT
- Sep-29, Fall Student Research Symposium, 1-3pm, ACC first floor conference room St. Thomas
- Oct-01, Deadline, ECS seniors must have taken the GRE and submit draft of personal statement
- Oct-07,CIC Consortium Recruitment Session, 1-3:40pm, T-213 STT, EVC 401 STX
- Oct-15, ECS seniors should have requested letters of recommendation from faculty by this date
- Oct-18, Research Seminar, Dr. Robert Donnelly of New Jersey Medical School, 12pm, 110 STT
- Nov-01, WORKSHOP, Working on Personal Statements and Graduate School Applications with Dr. Turner, 9am-5pm, MSC 200 STT
- Nov-07, Pre-ABRCMS meeting, 1-2pm, MSC 200 STT, videoconference NWW 103 STX
- Nov 13-16, Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), Nashville, TN. ECS students to travel on Nov 12 and return Nov 17.
Spring 2013 Activities
- 16-Jan, Workshop: How to apply to summer programs (STT), 12:00 PM, B-110 STT
- 23-Jan, Seminar: Bill Cruickshank , Boston University, 12:00 PM, B-110 STT
- 24-Jan, EMSSP Applicant Interviews (STT), All day, contact Sandra Romano email@example.com
- 24-Jan, Info Session: All about EMSSP, 6:00PM, ACC 142 (STT), NWW 135 (STX)
- 25-Jan, Workshop: How to apply to summer programs (STX), 4:00 PM, EVC 133 STT
- 01-Feb, Seminar: Cornell Phillip, PhD, UVI alumnus, 12:00 PM, B-110 STT, NWW 103 STX
- 06-Feb, Seminar: Lesley Cottrell, West Virginia University,Medicine, 12:00PM, B-110 STT, NWW 103 STX
- 20-Feb, pre-ERN meeting, 4:00pm, STT CAB-205
- 22-Feb, Info Session: All about ECS (St. Croix), Presented by Dr. Teresa Turner, ALL DAY
- 25-Feb, Spring Symposium Deadline, http://ecs.uvi.edu
- 28-Feb, ECS Applications Deadline, http://ecs.uvi.edu
- 01-Mar, Info Session: Dr. John Spitsbergen, Western Michigan University REUs, B-110 STT
- 28-Feb to 2-Mar, ERN Conference, Washington DC
- 23-Mar, Spring Student Research Symposium, 1-3 pm, St. Croix, Great Hall
- 18-Apr, Summer Student Researchers Meeting, VC to STX, B-101 STT, 12:30 pm
Fall 2012 Activities
1. Aug-24, Seminar: Dr. Kristin Wilson, Marine Biology, 12:00 PM, B-110, STT
2. Aug-24, "All About ECS" Social, 6:30 PM, MMSC Conference room STT
3. Aug-29, Workshop: How to write an abstract, 12:00 PM, , B-110 STT, EVC 713 STX
4. Sep-5, Seminar: Dr. Julio Facelli, Bioinformatics, 12:00 PM, B-110, STT, EVC 713 STX
5. Sep-7, ABRCMS abstract deadline
6. Sep-10, Fall symposium deadline
7. Sep-12, Workshop: How to Present Your Research as an Oral Presentation, 12:00 PM, B-110, STT, NWW 103 STX
8. Sep-21, Seminar: UNC Chapel Hill Graduate Students, 12:00 PM, B-110 STT, EVC 713 STX
9. Sep-21, Workshop: How to apply to graduate school and summer programs, 2:30 PM, MMSC Conference room STT
10. Sep-23, Fall Research Symposium, 1-3pm, ACC, STT
11. Oct-5, Seminar: Dr. Robert Donnelly, Pathology, 12:00 PM, B-110, STT, EVC 713 STX
12. Oct 17-19, CERC Conference, 3 DAYS, SUGAR BAY RESORT, STT
13. Nov-1, Pre ABRCMS meeting, 12:00 pm, MMSC STT
14. Nov-2, Workshop: Personal Statement Writing , 2:30-5pm, MMSC Conference room STT
15. Nov 7-10, ABRCMS CONFERENCE, San Jose, California
Academic Year 2008-2009 Activities
1. August 20, HBCU-UP Conference 2008 abstracts due
2. August 27, Workshop: How to Write an Abstract
3. August 29, Research Seminar: Dr. Tony D'Andrea
4. September 2, Deadline for Senior ECS Scholars: List of Graduate Programs
5. September 3, Workshop: How to Apply to Graduate School
6. September 5, Research Seminar: Dr. Kerry Browne
7. September 5, ABRCMS Abstracts due
8. September 8, Fall Research Symposium Abstracts due
9. September 10, Research Seminar: Dr. Simon Pittman
10. September 12, Research Seminar: Dr. Althea Elliot, Regulation of the Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor by p -Anilinoaniline in MCF10A cells. Dr. Elliot is a UVI Alumna & previous MARC Scholar.
11. September 15, St. Thomas Campus Science Awareness Saturday Academy applications due
12. September 17, Workshop: How to Present a Poster
13. September 19, St. Croix Campus Science Awareness Saturday Academy applications due
14. September 21, Fall Research Symposium
15. September 22, MARC & MBRS-RISE Advisory Committee Meetings
16. September 23, Mandatory Pre-Med Student Meeting
17. October 1, Deadline for Seniors: Take the GRE
18. October 9, CIC Recruitment -Graduate School and Summer Research Forum Workshop by the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC includes a variety of
mid-west universities. Visit http://www.cic.uiuc.edu/ for more information.
19. October 23 to 26, HBCU-UP Conference
20. November 3, Deadline for Seniors: Draft Personal Statement
21. November 5 to 8, ABRCMS Conference
22. December 1, Deadline for Seniors: Letters of Recommendations for Graduate Schools sent out and request transcripts from the Registrar's Office
23. December 15, Follow up for Seniors: Contact Registrar's Office to ensure transcripts will be sent to graduate schools before winter break.
Academic Year 2007-2008 Activities
Fall 2007 Activities in Detail (PDF)
1. August 13 to September 21, GRE Workshop
2. August 24, MARC/RISE Advisory Committee Meeting
3. August 28, MARC, RISE, & HBCU-UP Mentoring Workshop for Research Faculty
4. August 29, Workshop: How to Write an Abstract
5. August 31, Research Seminar: Dr. Maftahi
6. August 31, Pre-Med at Boston University Informational Meeting
7. September 5, Workshop: How to Apply to Graduate School
8. September 7, Research Seminar: Dr. Stake
9. September 7, ABRCMS abstracts deadline
10. September 10, UVI Fall Research Symposium abstracts deadline
11. September 12, Research Seminar: Dr. Connie Mulligan, Associate Professor and Director of the University of Florida 's Genetics Institute. Dr. Mulligan gave a presentation entitled "Reconstructing Human Migrations: Projects from the Americas and from Africa"
12. September 19, Workshop: How to Present a Poster
13. September 19, We had an information booth at UVI's annual September Fest (Career/Job Fair, Health Fair, Recruitment Fair, and Open House extravaganza).
14. September 23, UVI Fall Research Symposium 1:30-3:30 pm
15. September 26, Research Seminar: Dr. Esra Toussaint, Molecular Biologist, UVI alumna. Gave a presentation entitled "The Role of the E6 and E7 proteins of Human Papillomavirus 16 in Tumor Angiogenesis" on the St. Thomas campus.
16. September 28, Research Seminar: Dr. Esra Toussaint, Molecular Biologist, UVI alumna. Title of Lecture: "The Role of the E6 and E7 proteins of Human Papillomavirus 16 in Tumor Angiogenesis" on the St. Croix campus.
17. October 4 to 7, HBCU-UP National Research Conference
18. October 4, Graduate School Recruiters Workshop by Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC includes Purdue, Penn State, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, University of Wisconsin, and other mid-west universities. http://www.cic.uiuc.edu/ This workshop is a collaborative partnership between CIC, UVI's Office of Counseling & Placement, and UVI's ECS Programs.)
19. October 30, Workshop: Getting the Most from Scientific Meetings
20. November 6 to 11, ABRCMS Conference
21. November 15, We hosted an outreach activity for AP Biology students of local area high schools. Students were able to tour our laboratories, meet researchers, and learn about our research and scholarship programs.
22. November 17, We had an information booth at the St. Thomas Agriculture & Food Fair of the US Virgin Islands.
23. January 23, Workshop: How to Apply to Summer Research Programs (presented by a group of UVI-ECS students).
24. January 24, Open Forum: Boston University Early Pre-Med Forum, Dr. John Polk, MD, Assistant Dean for Students and Minority Affairs at Boston University School of Medicine, discussed BU's Early Medical School Selection Program.
25. January 24, Seminar: Dr. John Polk, MD, Assistant Dean for Students and Minority Affairs at Boston University, discussed on Careers in Medicine and the Medical School Admission Process.
26. January 25, Research Seminar: Dr. Renata Platenberg discussed her research on tree boas in the Virgin Islands. She is a Reptile Ecologist/Wildlife Biologist within the US Virgin Islands' Division of Fish and Wildlife.
27. January 25, Workshop: How to Apply to Summer Research Programs (presented by a group of UVI-ECS students).
28. January 30, Research Seminar: Dr. Phil Crews, Marine Natural Products Chemist at UC Santa Cruz, presented his research on marine natural products. His lecture was titled "Discovering and Characterizing Provocative Small Molecules from Simple Marine Organisms."
29. February 8, Research Seminar: Dr. Michael Thomas, Assistant Professor at the UVI discussed his research on cancer biology. His presentation was titled "E4orf1 Restricts the Oncolytic Potential of E1B-55K deleted Adenovirus ONYX-015/dl1520" .
30. February 16 to February 18. We had an information booth at the St. Croix Agriculture and Food Fair of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
31. February 19, Dr. Sandra Romano hosted an "All About ECS" open forum on the St. Croix. Students were given information about the 6 ECS programs. Dr. Romano also showed students the ECS website, application, and tips for writing a personal statement.
32. February 21, Dr. Sandra Romano hosted an "All About ECS" open forum on the St. Thomas. Students were given information about the 6 ECS programs. Dr. Romano also showed students the ECS website, application, and tips for writing a personal statement.
33. February 21, Dr. Anne Donnelly, Florida South East Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professorate Program Program Director, will be having an informative meeting for potential SEAGEP scholars, SEAGEP faculty, and 3-2 engineering students.
34. February 22, Spring Symposium Abstract Submission Deadline. Abstracts were submitted using the "ECS Research Symposium" link in the ECS blackboard forum.
35. February 22, Research Seminar: Dr. Sarwan Dhir, Associate Professor of Plant Science-Biotechnology at Fort Valley State University, gave a presentation entitled What is Biotechnology?
36. March 9, ECS hosted an information booth at UVI's Afternoon on the Green
37. March 15, UVI Spring Research Symposium
38. March 1 (extended to March 17), ECS Applications Due
39. March 18, Dr. Bill McHenry presented a seminar entitled Science Diversity Center - a cyber education tool.
40. March 19, Dr. Bill McHenry presented a workshop entitled Science & Technology Centers STARS Internship Program.
41. March 20, Dr. Bill McHenry presented a seminar entitled Preparing a Globally Competitive Workforce.
42. March 27, Laurel Royer, PhD candidate & UVI MARC & RISE alumnae presented at the St. Croix Educational Complex with Math Boosters
43. March 26, PhD candidate and UVI-ECS alumnae, Laurel Royer, gave a general motivational presentation to all majors
44. March 26, PhD candidate and UVI-ECS alumnae, Laurel Royer, gave a general presentation to psychology, nursing, and undeclared students
45. March 27, St. Croix Research Seminar: Investigating the Environmental Fate and Behavior of Perfluoroalkylated Substances by Laurel Royer, PhD candidate conducting research at the Department of Agronomy Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences at Purdue University.
46. March 28, St. Thomas Research Seminar: Investigating the Environmental Fate and Behavior of Perfluoroalkylated Substances by Laurel Royer, PhD candidate conducting research at the Department of Agronomy Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences at Purdue University.
47. March 28, Workshop: Preparing for Graduate School: The Inside Scoop from A UVI Alumna. Laurel Royer is currently a graduate student at Purdue University. She will speak about her experiences at graduate school after her research presentation.
Academic Year 2006-2007 Seminars
1. Dr. Jonathan Woodson, Director of Boston University Early Medical Program, presented admission and curriculum information about their program
2. Dr. Jeanette Richards, UVI alumna, PhD in biochemistry from Ohio State, currently scientist for Proctor and Gamble
3. Dr. Sylvia Vitazkova presented a summary of her dissertation research on howler monkeys and some info on UVI's new Masters in Marine & Environmental Sciences (MMES) program
4. Dr. Velma Tyson presented information on applying to summer research programs and post-bachelor degree programs
5. Dr. Seraphine Pitt-Barnes, UVI alumna and UVI research faculty, gave a presentation on her dissertation research; her public health research involves statistical analysis
6. Dr. Paul Jobsis presented his recent research at the NIH
7. Dr. Vivien Cassagrande, Vanderbilt University, gave a presentation on neurophysiology of vision
8. Dr. Turner presented information on standardized tests such as the GRE, MCAT
Academic Year 2004-2005 Seminars at UVI by Visiting Scientists
1. September 1, 2004, Challenges and Opportunities in Computational Biology, Dr. Robert Murphy, Professor, Departments of Biological Sciences and Biomedical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
2. September 2, 2004, Automated Interpretation of Subcellular Patterns in Microscope Images, Dr. Robert Murphy, Professor, Departments of Biological Sciences and Biomedical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
3. January 19, 2005, Graduate Studies at Institutions of Higher Learning, Dr. Soman Abraham , Professor of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center
4. January 21, 2005, Mast Cells as Modulators of Immunity Against Microbial Infections, Dr. Soman Abraham, Professor of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center
5. February 14, 2005, Erik Emerik, UVI alumnus, Graduate Student in Neuroscience, Vanderbilt University
6. March 9, 2005, The Psychology of Laughter, Dr. Jo-Anne Bachorowski, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University
7. March 11, 2005, Reproduction: Mystery, Magic, and Mayhem, Dr. Thomas D. Landefeld , Associate Dean, California State University , Dominguez Hills
8. March 30, 2005, Evolution of Brain Pathways for Vocal Learning in Birds and Humans, Dr. Erich D. Jarvis , Assistant Professor, Dept. of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center
9. March 31, 2005, Survival of a Science Career, Dr. Erich D. Jarvis, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center