The Office of Sponsored Programs announced the adoption of IRBNet in the fall of 2013. IRBNet is a web based interface for the submission, correspondence, management, and monitoring of research protocols involving human subjects and animals.
Registering on IRBNet
- Go to the IRBNet website at www.irbnet.org
- In the upper right hand corner of the screen, right below the Login boxes, click on “New User Registration” button.
- Fill in your name (using your proper name with standard capitalization), and choose a username and password. Password must contain (8) characters. Click Continue.
- Next add an affiliation. In the “Search for an organization” box type University of the Virgin Islands and select Search. Highlight University of the Virgin Islands in the “Your organization” box and click Continue.
- Enter your telephone number and e-mail address. Enter the e-mail address that you would like to receive communications through IRBNet.
- Review your information and edit as necessary. If you are satisfied click Register. Click Continue to finalize your registration. Once you finalize your registration, an activation e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you provided in Step 6, with “IRBNet Activation Required” in the subject line. You will need to click on the link within the registration e-mail in order to activate your account. Clicking on the link will take you to the IRBNet Homepage.
If you do not receive your activation e-mail, log into IRBNet with your username and password go to your User Profile and click on “Send me an activation e-mail”.
New Project Submission
- Log in to www.irbnet.org using you username and password that you created in the previous section. If you have not created an account; please follow the necessary steps in the “Registering with IRBNet section.
- The default page will be My Projects. On the navigation bar to the left click “Create New Project”.
- You will now be on the “Project Information Page”. Enter the title of your study and your name. The keywords box is for your reference only and will assist you later if you need to search through your studies to find a specific study. If the study is sponsored then enter the name of the funding agency in the “Sponsor” box. Click the Continue button.
- You are now on the “Designer Page” where you will download forms, templates and reference materials to assemble your package.
- Select “University of the Virgin Islands IRB, St. Thomas VI” from the “Select a Library” drop-down menu.
- The “Select a Document” drop-down menu will give you access to the forms needed to assemble the application package. Select the appropriate forms and download to your computer. You can only download one form at a time.
- Select Add New Document. This will take you to the “Designer Page” click on the “Document Type” drop-down menu to view the type of document you wish to upload.
- Type in a brief description of the documents you are attaching in the “Description” field. Next click the “Browse” button to locate the documents on your computer that you wish to attach to your project package.
- Repeat until you have attached all the required documents to complete your document package.
- Select “Share this Project” link located under the Project Administration heading on the left side of the screen.
- Next select “Sign this Package” from the navigation bar on the left of the screen.
- Click “Submit This Package” from the navigation bar on the left. Click on “University of the Virgin Islands IRB” - for human subject protocol submissions or click on “University of the Virgin Islands IACUC” - for animal care and use protocol submissions.
Additional IRB.net Training Resources
Researchers may find additional resources (videos and pdf documents) on using IRBNet at the site below:
Researchers: IRBNet Resources Training
Institutional Login: Username: uvi Password: training1
If a department or research unit would like to request a training session or if there are general questions regarding IRBNet, please contact Diahann Ryan , Assistant Director Research Compliance at 340-693-1176 or email@example.com.