School of Nursing
Generic Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Application deadline September 30, 2023
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED
(Note new COVID-19 Vaccination Policy effective January 2022 posted November 19, 2021)
Admission to the program is competitive and is limited.
NOTE: New Requirement on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS):
A PROFICIENCY score will be required on the TEAS effective January 2023.
The selection is based on set criteria, including:
- At least a “Proficient” score on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), Sixth Edition examination. Before taking the TEAS exam, we recommend completion of the Anatomy and Physiology Courses I & II (BIO 151 and BIO 152). Also visit www.teas6practicetest.com to obtain practice tests and review materials.
- A score of 60% is required on the Science component of the TEAS.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0.
- At least a “C” grade on ALL required biology courses.
- All prerequisite courses listed in Semester 1-3 on the paradigm.
- Computer Literacy Examination (taken during the freshman year)
Students with the highest scores in the above categories may be accepted based on available spaces. If you do not think that you will qualify, please see your nursing faculty advisor to work on a plan of study to strengthen your application in the next admission cycle. National Exchange Students are not eligible for admission in the BSN program.
Admission to the BSN Program
To qualify for admission to the BSN Program, all applicants must be accepted to UVI and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Generic applicants must have successfully completed, or be enrolled in:
- Freshman year courses, including ENG 100/101, MAT 023/024, FDS 100, SCI 100 and SSC 100 (transfer applicants with >24 credits are exempt);
- General education courses, including HSC 100, ENG 120, ENG 201, MAT 140, MAT 235, PSY 120, PSY 202 and COM 119;
- BIO 151/152 and BIO 240 with grades of "C" or better (online courses are not accepted);
- Computer Literacy Examination (unless exempt);
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) from Assessment Technologies Institute (BSN Completion students are exempt) with a score of "Proficient" or better. A score of 60% or above the national norm on the science component of the TEAS is preferred. The TEAS test is administered by UVICELL. Applicants from other locations can check www.atitesting.com for information about testing in other locations. For information about TEAS testing at UVICELL,visit https://cell.uvi.edu/programs/teas-testing.aspx.
Transfer applicants who have been enrolled in another nursing program and wish to transfer into the BSN program must contact the administrator of the previous institution and request that a letter be mailed directly to the Dean of the School of Nursing indicating their academic standing and eligibility for re-admission. In addition, an interview with the Admissions Committee is required.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Effective January 2022, ALL BSN students will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to be enrolled in the BSN Program. A significant component of the BSN Program requires placement at clinical sites on and off campus. The University, territorial hospitals and our clinical placement sites in the community require students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. There is no "reasonable accommodation" that can replace face to face clinical practice experiences that are required to meet the End of Program Student Learning Outcomes.
Admission to the University is a prerequisite for admission into the nursing program but does not guarantee acceptance into the BSN Program. All prospective BSN students must submit a separate application packet to the School of Nursing by September 30, 2023, either in person or by mail. Application forms may be downloaded from the School of Nursing website or may be requested from the School of Nursing. Click here for the application form.
Applications for the St. Thomas Campus should be addressed to:
University of the Virgin Islands, School of Nursing
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, U.S Virgin Islands, 00802-9990
Applications to the Albert A. Sheen Campus on St. Croix should be addressed to:
University of the Virgin Islands, School of Nursing
RR1, Box 10,000; Kingshill, St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands, 00859-9781
The application packet should include:
- Completed application form
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (students currently enrolled at UVI may provide unofficial transcripts)
- TEAS results
- One page essay on topic "Nursing: My Career of Choice" with at least one citation in APA format
- Two filled out recommendation forms from professors, supervisors or employers using the form designed for that purpose. The recommendation forms should be submitted electronically no later than September 30 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are incomplete if the recommendation forms are not received by September 30. Click here for the recommendation form.
Additional requirements for (1) transfer students and (2) those who attended other colleges and universities:
- Copy of transcript evaluation completed by the UVI Office of the Registrar
- Official letter of good standing from previous nursing program (if applicable)
BSN Completion Applicants:
- Copy of RN license
Selection and Notification of Applicants
Admission to the generic BSN program is competitive and based on a point system. Enrollment is limited and applicants with the most points will be selected for admission. Points are awarded to applicants for grades in pre-requisite courses, performance on the TEAS test, current enrollment at UVI and a bachelor's degree in another field.
Applicants to the BSN Program will be notified of acceptance, or conditional acceptance, by November 15th. Required courses in progress at the time of application must be completed successfully in order to begin the program. All applicants who are accepted into the BSN Program will have to submit documentation that meets clinical agency requirements, including a criminal background check and drug screen, immunization record and certification in CPR for Healthcare Professionals.