Theatre arts is alive and well at UVI! Students, alumni, faculty and community members create memorable experiences at UVI's Little Theatre on the St. Thomas campus. Located in the Classroom Administration Building on the second floor, the theatre has a seating capacity of approximately 100 and is expected to produce at least one play per semester.
Theatre students are provided many opportunities to perform, do technical work, design, produce and direct plays for our main stage seasons as members of lighting, sound, scenic construction and painting, makeup and costuming and public relations crews.
The UVI Little Theatre is a safe, accessible classroom and black box performing arts facility. Its entry hallway will take you down memory lane as it features newly restored, matted and framed historical and contemporary posters marking the Little Theatre’s remarkable career. Little Theatre is known for comedies, dramas, musicals, regional theatre, readers theatre, children's theatre, improvisational theatre and original theatre productions that make for unforgettable moments for students, alumni, faculty and the entire community.
- Bus Stop: with Caribbean Seasoning (Fall 2013)
- A Play on Words (Spring 2012)
- Playwrights in Paradise Festival of Original Drama (Spring 2012 and Spring 2011)
- Kill the Rabbits (Spring 2012)
- O Christmas Three! (Fall 2011)
- Old Story Time (Spring 2011)
- In the Beginning (Spring 2011)
- South Pacific (Fall 2010)
- Truth on Trial (Fall 2009)
UVI Little Theatre evolved from the 1963 CVI theatre that served as a multipurpose space for movie night every Friday night called “Movie Night at CVI” to “artists and Lecture” a series on weeknights. There were CVI musical events, guitar concerts and choir concerts plus theatre, cinema and dance classes. One of the goals of the theatre, even today, is to serve the community and has encouraged many community organizations to take advantage of this desire. Community theatre groups like St. Thomas Repertory Theatre, Ad Lib Productions and Herbert Lutz, Contant Productions began using the performance space. The theatre was kept busy in those early years as it was the only large meeting place on campus. There was also “Harper Parker Productions” a team that worked so well together on many productions over the years consisting of Professors Rosary E Harper and Dennis E. Parker. They both were able to groom over two generations of UVI theatre students, some of which have productions of their own right here in the St. Thomas community. Dr. Harper initiated the matting and framing of the theatre posters that have now been returned to the foyer of the theatre. These creative, artistic posters which reflect the rich history of work produced in the UVI Little theatre over the years, were restored by Humanities Professor Jane Coomes' gallery Mango Tango.
Efforts are being made to bring UVI Theatre up to the basic contemporary standards of small university black box theatre. Fundraising activities are underway and a wish list has been developed. We at the UVI Theatre are seeking donations and perhaps you’d like to help. Naming options are possible. The wish list comprises of:
- Lighting needs: Computer lighting console, dimmer packs, control cable, instruments, source fours, ellipsoidals, PARS, fresnels, pinspots, minispots, scoops, follow spot, lamps for all instruments, gel frames, donuts, gobos, gobo holders, light booth communication, insulation, flooring, chairs/stools, storage, re-fit windows totaling $29,690.28.
- Seating needs: 110 theatre seats and installation totaling $29,500.00.
- Sound needs: 24-channel sound mixing console, amplifier, speakers (JBL and sub-woofers), mini-disk player, studio CD player, sound creation software, assistive listening system [handicap] (transmitter, transmitter microphones, receivers, ear and headphones, batteries, shotgun microphones) installation totaling $16,897.16.
- Dressing room needs: 10 chairs, electrical installation of light fixtures (already obtained), installation of counter-tops (already obtained), mirrors and installation, run plumbing, purchase and install 2 sinks totaling $5,300.00.
- Shop needs: Panel saw, roof repairs totaling $6,950.00.
- Video and transmission needs: Video projector, video screen, installation, video-teleconference system, installation, two video cameras, computer editing suite totaling $31,000.00.
Resources for Theatre at UVI