Department of Biological Sciences
Pre-Health Profession Advising - Timeline for Applying for Medical School
Summer after sophomore year
- Take an MCAT preparation workshop
- Start an intensive program to study for the MCAT which you will continue until you take the MCAT
- Buy the book Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) available from the AAMC or Amazon.com
- Apply to the AAMC Financial Assistance Program (FAP) to lower fees associated with applying to medical school.
- Register for the MCAT.
- Start preparing your AMCAS application
- Start researching medical schools to apply to (you want a list of about 10)
- Get letters of evaluation from individuals
- Arrange with the pre-health advisor to start the process of getting a composite letter of evaluation
- Start preparing your personal statement
- Take the MCAT.
May and June
- Finish your AMCAS application
- Submit your AMCAS application
- Prepare and submit secondary applications
- Prepare for medical school interviews
- Go to medical school interviews
- Decide which medical school offer you will accept