- Where is UVI located? The University of the Virgin Islands is situated in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which includes St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix and Water Island. The islands are located in the Eastern Caribbean, 40 miles east of Puerto Rico. UVI has campuses on St. Thomas and St. Croix, with an environmental resources station on the island of St. John.
- What is the makeup of the UVI student body? For the latest facts and figures on UVI's diverse student body, visit our UVI Fact Sheet. More detailed information is included in our UVI Fact Books.
- Where do UVI students come from? UVI's approximately 2,500 full-time, part-time and graduate students come from the U.S. Virgin Islands, 21 states and approximately 15 other countries, primarily in the Eastern Caribbean.
- What is the makeup of UVI's faculty? The faculty is comprised of 225 highly qualified, full-time and part-time members. Sixty-three percent of the full-time faculty hold doctoral degrees. Faculty members represent diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds, from the mainland U.S., the Virgin Islands and abroad.
- Who are UVI's alumni? The University boasts more than 8,000 alumni who have gone on to excel as professionals in many fields, as physicians, attorneys, judges, university administrators, teachers and heads of state. Among the many accomplishments of UVI students and graduates are two Rhodes Scholars and an alumnus who won a Pulitzer Prize for journalism.
- What entertainment opportunities exist at UVI? The Reichhold Center for the Arts http://www.reichholdcenter.org on St. Thomas is a state-of-the-art performing arts center that has hosted top classical music, R&B, jazz, dance and theatrical performers from around the world. The 1,200-seat facility celebrates its 35th anniversary during the 2013-2014 season.
- What athletic opportunities exist at UVI? UVI has men’s and women’s sports teams in basketball, volleyball, track & field, cross country, tennis and swimming. The St. Croix campus has the Bucs Fitness Center, a 900-square-foot fitness facility, where students, faculty and staff are able to work out daily. On St. Thomas, the University’s Sports and Fitness Center is the premier athletic facility of its type in the Caribbean. A dual cross-court is available for teaching and practice activities, as well as two official-size basketball courts, and a resilient portable wooden floor for basketball and volleyball games. The arena seats 2,500-3,000 people. In addition, the building houses several administrative offices, three classrooms and a VIP sky box/public relations area.
- How can I make a donation to UVI? UVI will work with you and your advisors to identify ways that you can invest "social capital" in UVI, its students, and the Virgin Islands community. Make an immediate gift by credit card by calling the Office of Institutional Advancement at 340-693-1042. University of the Virgin Islands faculty and staff may make gifts to the Annual Fund by payroll deduction.
- When was UVI founded? March 1962
- What web browsers does the site support? The UVI website can be seen and browsed using all major web browsers. The following list (in alphabetical order) indicates the minimal required browser version:
- Firefox 1.5+
- Internet Explorer 6.0+ (Windows only)
- Netscape 9.0+
- Opera 9.0+ (Windows and Mac only)
- Safari 3.0+ (Windows and Mac only)
Notes: Operating systems: Windows, Mac and Linux otherwise noted. Browsers in BETA stage are not supported. A plus indicates "or greater". If your browser is not supported, please download and install a supported version. See the corresponding FAQ topic for more information.
Where can I download a supported web browser? Use the following links to download the latest version of a supported web browser.
In alphabetical order:
- Firefox - http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
- Internet Explorer - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx
- Opera - http://www.opera.com/download/
- Safari - http://www.apple.com/safari/download/