Department of Biological Sciences
Welcome & Overview
Welcome to the Biology Program at the University of the Virgin Islands! We are proud to offer a flexible and rigorous program of study in the biological sciences on the beautiful Caribbean islands of St. Thomas and St. Croix.
- Attention Seniors: Don't forget to apply for graduation! You cannot graduate unless you first apply at the registrar's office.
- Interested in a career in medicine? Visit UVI's Pre-Health Advising page!
- Emerging Caribbean Scientists scholarship and summer research applications are due Feb 28th. Begin the application process now at the ECS page!
What can you do with a degree in the Biological Sciences?
Our graduates are now working in wide variety of science related careers, such as medical research, teaching, medicine, water testing, US customs, natural resource management, and coral restoration. Many of our alumni have gone on to attain advanced degrees in medical fields and are now working as doctors, pharmacists, dentists, physical therapists and physician's assistants. Many have completed Ph.D.'s and Masters degrees in specialties of their choice and are now working in industry, at research institutes and hospitals and in many other fields including environmental law, scientific writing and patent research.
Program Mission Statement
The biology and marine biology program is committed to helping students excel academically and achieve productive careers through programs in academics, research and community service. The program provides BS and BA degrees in Biology and Marine Biology. Our degree offerings are augmented by opportunities to participate in internships as well as research at both the local and national level. The faculty is dedicated to
- preparing our students for successful, productive postgraduate and professional careers.
- lifelong learning and scientific research, academic and pedagogical advancement, and outreach to the local community.
Program Goals. Students will
- Apply scientific approaches to problem solving.
- Communicate biological information appropriate to their field of study in written and oral form.
- Understand and analyze modern biological research within their field of study.